Chicken is the most versatile of meats (high in protein and low in fat). It can be prepared in many ways i.e fried, roasted, boiled or grilled… in pies, stews and casseroles. No wonder that chicken is a staple food in practically every culture… unless you’re a vegetarian.
- 300g (2 Large) Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoon Herbes de Provence Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Vegetable (OXO) Stock Cube, Crumbled
- 1 Small Onion Finely Chopped
- 3 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers (Lidl has them in a jar) Cut into Strips
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 200g Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 tablespoon Freshly Chopped Parsley, to Garnish
- 1 Small Red Chille (hot or not) cut into thin slices, to Garnish
- Healthy Oil for Frying
- Put all seasoning (Herbs de Provence, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper) in a small jam jar and shake to combine.
- Pour the seasoning into a low flat bowl and coat each side of the (patted dry) chicken breasts by laying them in the seasoning.
- Shake off excess seasoning and keep for later.
- Preheat oven 200° C. In a frying pan, fry chicken breasts in hot oil, ca 4 minutes each side.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and cut in half lengthways… they should still be pink inside. Coat the uncooked side in seasoning and fry for a further 3-4 minutes. (I do it this way, instead of cutting in half before frying, because I find the chicken remains deliciously juicy this way.
- Set cooked chicken aside.
- Fry the chopped onion in the same pan 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, remaining seasoning and stock cube. Cover and simmer for ca 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced peppers, stir, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Taste to season.
- Transfer the tomato and pepper sauce into an ovenproof pan/dish.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the sauce and cover with the grated Mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for ca 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley, red chilli.
Per Chicken Breast with 1/4 of the sauce. Less sauce, less carbs.
- 10,5g Carbs
- 13g Fat
- 14g Protein
- 210 Calories