How do you make Keto Cinnamon Rolls?
These easy Keto Cinnamon Rolls are super low in carbs, coming to just under 2 net carbs per roll, with the cream cheese frosting! They also do not contain any eggs, so perfect for those with allergies! This is a great keto breakfast that you can enjoy without blowing your diet!
We love making these on the weekends for a special breakfast. I’ve included step by step photos as well as a video so you can enjoy these at home too!
How do you make fat head dough?
Start by melting mozzarella cheese (weird I know, but just go with it) and mixing it with almond flour and flax meal. This is how you make a classic “fat head dough” . The amazing thing about this dough is that once it is well incorporated it is quite easy to work with. It spreads easily and has a nice elastic quality that gluten free dough typically lacks.
Roll Out Your Keto Dough
Next, we need to roll our dough out. You can spread your dough on parchment paper or wax paper. This makes it SO much easier because the dough never sticks and the baking mats are much sturdier than parchment paper so you don’t have to chase it around your table while you work. It also has no waste! Roll your dough into a nice even rectangle. Mine was roughly 13×10 inches.
Add the Cinnamon Roll Filling
Next, brush your dough with softened butter. If you accidentally melt your butter completely that is okay, just let is sit in the fridge for a few minutes and allow it to firm up just a bit. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped nuts. We want nice big cinnamon swirls so spread your mixture all the way to the edges. Starting at one end carefully roll your sheet of dough into “rolls.”
I cut my rolls into 8 even sections. Roughly, this was about the length of two finger widths. There are two options next, either place them in a muffin tin so they do not spread out and they stay nice and uniform, or place them in a baking dish.
Before you place the rolls in the baking dish pinch the bottom of the cinnamon rolls together just a bit with your fingertips, this helps the butter from cooking out of your rolls, it keeps all of that delicious filling in each cinnamon roll!
Pop them in the oven and make our favorite cream cheese glaze while you wait! For one roll with cream cheese glaze is under 2 net carbs! The full nutritional breakdown is just below the recipe card.
The Best Keto Cinnamon Rolls (2 net carbs)
- For the Rolls
- 2 cups shredded mozzarealla cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Swerve (erythritol) sweetner
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (If subbing any other kind of liquid like almond milk start with less because it is not as thick as heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons powdered Swerve (erythritol)
- Preheat oven to 350
- For the Rolls:
- In a microwave proof mixing bowl combine the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted. Add the almond flour, baking powder and ground flax meal.
- Mix the dough well until you have a soft ball (see step by step images above)
- Between two silicone baking mats or parchment paper roll the dough into a rectangle roughly 13×10.
- For the filling:
- Brush the softened butter on the dough, all the way to the edges.
- Combine the cinnamon and sweetener in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the butter
- Top with chopped nuts
- Starting at one end roll your dough as tightly as you can into a log.
- Cut into 8 equal portions (roughly the width of two fingers)
- Spray a muffin tin lightly with cooking spray and place the rolls in the wells.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- For the cream cheese icing: combine the cream cheese, heavy cream and powdered swerve in a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- **Note: the icing is for a mildly sweet, thick frosting. If you prefer it sweeter or thinner just add additional ingredients as needed after taste testing.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 146 TOTAL FAT: 10.3g
CARBOHYDRATES: 3.5g FIBER: 1.2g PROTEIN: 10.5g
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10.3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.8g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|